2007.11.13-12.13 Moustache Growth
I grew a moustache for a month to help raise money for Breakthrough Collaborative, a national non-profit which runs tuition-free, academically-intense programs to teach middle school students the academic and leadership skills they need to succeed in high school and college. Long before these students start thinking about college, Breakthrough creates an interest in learning that stays with the students throughout high school.Read More
- 89% of Breakthrough's students are students of color.
- 65% qualify for free or reduced-price lunch programs.
- English is a second language for 27% of the students.
- 70% will be the first in their family to attend college.
- 82% are accepted to college preparatory programs, which compares to an average of 13% for students from the same socioeconomic background.
- 67% of Breakthrough's teachers are students of color (compared to 13.5% of teachers in public school systems).
- 72% of Breakthrough teachers, many of whom were Breakthrough students, go on to pursue careers in education.